Psoriasis affects about 4% of the population of the globe. It can develop at any age from birth to old age, but is most often psoriasis "loves" the young. This is evidenced by the fact that 70% of patients develop psoriasis before the age of 20 years.
If a rash that resembles psoriasis should consult a dermatologist. Psoriatic lesions represent the itchy scaly plaques of various sizes. When plaque psoriasis can appear on the elbows, knees, scalp or other parts of the body.
Causes of psoriasis
Psoriasis is an abnormal reaction of the body to external stimuli, which in some parts of the body the top layer of skin dies a lot faster than normal. If you normally have a cycle distribution and maturation of skin cells takes 3-4 weeks, in psoriasis, this process happens only 4-5 days.
Currently, psoriasis is considered a genetic disease: the basis of the disease is not one but a whole host of reasons – immunological changes and metabolic disorders associated with hormonal and neurological disorders. You can say that psoriasis is not contagious, and therefore is not a contagious disease.
Causes of psoriasis are still not completely found. On this score there are many theories.
One theory is that there are two types of psoriasis:
- Psoriasis type I is to appeal to a hereditary defect in the immune system. This form of psoriasis affects about 65% of the people, and the disease occurs in young people, 18 to 25 years.
- Psoriasis type II occurs in people over 40 years. This type of psoriasis is inherited and is not associated with breakdown of the cells of the immune system. In addition, unlike psoriasis, type I, which favors the skin, psoriasis type II more often affects the nails and joints.
According to another theory, the cause of psoriasis are the only immunity disorders is due to several factors: it may be due to stress, or infectious diseases, or cold climate, or poor diet. For example, noted that alcohol can cause exacerbation of psoriasis, especially beer, champagne and spirits. Use products that contain vinegar, pepper, chocolate, also aggravate the disease and can cause exacerbation of psoriasis. According to this theory, psoriasis is a systemic disease. This means that if serious violations of the immune system, the process can spread to the other organs and tissues, e. g., joints. As a result, may develop psoriatic arthritis, which is characterized by damage to the small joints of the hands and feet.
The symptoms of psoriasis
Symptoms of psoriasis is inflamed, scaly patches of red, accompanied by severe itching. Such places are usually located in the skin, scalp, knees and elbow joints of the lower back and places skin folds. About a quarter of patients affected nails.
Depending on the seasonality of exacerbations (worsening of the disease) there are three types of psoriasis: winter, summer, uncertain. General winter type of psoriasis.
During exacerbation, psoriasis symptoms hands, knees, head and also the lower back and places skin folds appear in the form of plaques reddish color. Their sizes vary from a pinhead to a large part of the palm size and more.
Skin rashes are usually accompanied by flaking and painful itching. In the process of peeling of superficial scales are easily removed, are more dense, arranged in depth (hence another name for psoriasis — psoriasis). Sometimes the affected areas the skin appears cracked and festering.
Progressive psoriasis is characterized by the development of psoriatic plaques in places of trauma or scratching the skin.
About a quarter of patients affected nails. This raises a deeper point and spotting the nail plate. In addition, the nails can become thick and crumble.
In the summer, under the influence of sunlight, of patients of which is the winter form of psoriasis symptoms subside, and sometimes disappear. Patients summer type of psoriasis, on the contrary, it is recommended to avoid exposure to the sun, as it aggravates the disease.
The diagnosis of psoriasis
Diagnose psoriasis by a dermatologist. It would have been called the appearance of skin lesions similar to psoriasis — tiles in various sizes, red, itchy and scaly. To clarify the diagnosis may require skin biopsy.
Treatment of psoriasis
If the doctor detects a psoriasis in the early stages, it is quite possible you will be given mainly on preventive rather than curative means.
When significant symptoms of the disease following methods will be used in the treatment of psoriasis:
- cryotherapy is a method of cold exposure;
- plasmapheresis is blood purification,
- treatment UV treatment is short-term procedures, similar to the Solarium. More effective in the treatment of psoriasis this method is often combined with administration of specific medications, PUVA therapy).
In no case do not try to deal with psoriasis treatment uv radiation without your doctor's advice. Psoriasis, small doses of uv light are drugs, and increased — on the contrary, can develop the disease.
Unfortunately, no one knows how to cure psoriasis completely, because the body to "preserve the memory" of the disease in the form of biochemical, immunological and functional changes. Recurrence of psoriasis can occur at any time, so patients with this diagnosis should always see a dermatologist.
What can and can not psoriasis
Successful treatment of psoriasis depends largely on the adherence to the diet system that is physiologically optimal value of energy, fat and carbohydrates.
Psoriasis treatment-a long and complex process, the main of which is the experience of care, long-term monitoring of patients and the right choice of methods and means of treatment. You should always remember that the most important thing in the treatment of this unpredictable disease — there is no harm. In many ways, the treatment of psoriasis depends on the patient.
Make sure that it's really psoriasis (if the rash appeared for the first time). Remember that circumstances and events were preceded by the appearance of the rash. It can be a stressful situation, any intoxication — drugs, alcohol, food, etc., long-term hypothermia, infectious diseases and vaccinations, trauma to the skin (including perms, hair coloring), and so on. Later, if possible, to remove the impact of these factors in the body.
- Sick. To prevent acute infectious diseases, chronic.
- Drinking, Smoking. Remember that alcohol and tobacco Smoking, as a rule, difficult to treat psoriasis and cause him frustration.
- "Cleaned". Popular recent "cleaning" of the body can also act as a precipitating factors. Do not get involved and starvation.
- Wrong ultraviolet. Many patients go to the sea sick swimming in the sea and sunbathing, but is soon convinced, that the disease is progressing again and comes with new power again spread — the sun's detrimental effect on the patient, it "run" psoriasis deeper into the body, and after some time the opposite, so take the sea and the sun, it is better, when the autumn and winter the treatment and prevention of summer.
- Eat everything. Successful treatment of psoriasis depends largely on the adherence to the diet system, which in this disease should be physiologically optimal value of energy, fat and carbohydrates. It is necessary to exclude consumption of citrus fruits, chocolate, eggs, honey, milk and products that contain red pigment (tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, etc.). After the disappearance of the plaques in the period of remission, do not abuse these products, it is desirable to limit the strongly acidic, spicy and fatty food, meat, sweets.
Possible to remove foods that cause allergic reactions. Meals can be eaten boiled, fried, stewed.
Successful treatment of psoriasis depends largely on the exclusion of spicy dishes, spices and spicy vegetables, spices (mustard, mayonnaise, etc.), smoked food, strong meat, fish and mushroom broths and sauces. Significantly reduce the consumption of salt.
During the intensive progression of mandatory fasting days and a sharp restriction of consumption of alcoholic beverages. To minimize the consumption of sugar-containing products.
Psoriasis treatment is usually complex and takes into account many factors in the development or exacerbation of the disease, as well as compliance with certain rules of supply.
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids (Pufa). Special attention should be paid to the intake of plant oils containing polyunsaturated fatty acids (Pufa). Intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids in sufficient quantities is very important in psoriasis, as they form the body of biologically active substances, has anti-inflammatory and antiallergic effect, a positive effect on the skin (part of cell membranes) and the walls of blood vessels, regulate metabolism (especially fat metabolism in the liver, the metabolism of some vitamins).
- Fiber. This group of patients is necessary to regularly maintain the cleaning function of the liver and it is involved in lipid metabolism. Very important, regular bowel movements. A tendency to constipation in the diet are products with a high content of dietary fiber and meals "laxative" effect (salads with vegetable oil, salad dressing, etc.). In addition, dietary fiber possess other important characteristics: the effect of the metabolism, maintain the body's balance of minerals. The food should be enriched with foods that normalize lipid metabolism (buckwheat, cheese, etc.).
- Vitamins. Treatment for psoriasis occur succeeds best when special attention is paid to the vitamin group of antioxidants that support healthy skin and nails. They help to neutralize free radicals, damaging the skin, strengthens the walls of blood vessels, is important for collagen and elastin (elements of the connective tissue). Complex b-vitamins, which are involved in all cellular processes, will also help to keep your skin healthy. In addition, the b vitamins has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, which is important for this disease. Typical psoriasis is an increased proliferation of skin cells and their incomplete maturation. Note that the cells of the upper skin layer (keratinocytes) have a high sensitivity to vitamin A I currently practice medicine success of using vitamin a products through which receptors, keratinocytes, which increased differentiation and thus try to normalize the development of the skin.
When composing a diet, it is important to remember that inclusion in the diet of foods rich in vitamin E (vegetable oils), C (rosehip, red pepper, black currant), And beta-carotene (liver, butter, pepper), (fish products), (beef liver, buckwheat), and vitamin P (currants).
- Calcium. The diet should be enriched with food sources of calcium (cheese, sour milk products, etc.), anti-inflammatory and antiallergic activity.
- Zinc. Psoriasis, it is important to consider the flow of food in zinc, which depends the production of a protein needed for wound healing, enhance immunity and antioxidant protection.
Psoriasis: tips for patients
Clothes can to some extent apply pressure to the skin, which can cause the appearance of new lesions, so choose lightweight, loose, cotton.
- As little as possible, take a bath — a popular soul, she menschen dry skin. If you still decide to go take a bath, do not dwell on it. The water should be hot.
- When washing, do not stretch the skin — use a soft sponge or cloth. Avoid hard mushrooms.
- Use a pH-neutral soap or shower gel (no fragrance). Do not touch the hard soap to the skin.
- Dry the skin carefully with a towel, lightly blot. Don't remove yourself of dead skin flakes.
- After shower, apply a skin emollient. Dry, cracked skin reduces the effectiveness of treatment, and often itches.
- Short cut nails — this helps in less damage to the skin, if there is a irresistible desire to scratch. Try to protect your skin from cuts and injury, as they may cause the appearance of new lesions of psoriasis.
- Psoriasis with the localization process in the hands necessary to use cotton gloves after applying the medication to avoid getting it in the eye.
- Clothes can to some extent apply pressure to the skin, which can cause the appearance of new lesions, so choose lightweight, loose, cotton. Clothing is made of fabric with bright and mixed colors will help to disguise falling scales clothes.
- Air conditioning can dry the skin, and after that may come the deterioration. If possible, limit the time spent in terms of air conditioning.
- Although the sun's rays, and are helpful to many patients, trying to "burn" in the sun. Ask your doctor for optimal sun.
- Trying to live a healthy lifestyle, avoiding alcohol abuse, and minimize stress.
- In winter to moisten the air at work and at home.